Yesterday I finally put Sydni’s REAL crib together. This whole time she has been sleeping in a Pak n Play at the foot of our bed. For about the past month or two she has been sleeping through the night, waking up around 6am to eat and then go back to sleep. So we decided she’s probably ready to go into her own room, mostly because I don’t have to get up every couple hours to feed her anymore. You seasoned veterans of parenthood reading this know the drill.
She hung out on her little play-gym on the floor while I put said crib together, glancing up at me every now and then, wondering what the heck was going on. Once I had the crib done I had to do some further adjustments to furniture between our room and hers, but who cares about that? Anyways, I found myself feeling strangely sentimental about the whole thing. I wasn’t expecting to, but this transition made me think of the rest of my life as a mother. For the rest of Sydni’s life I will have to let go of her bit by bit until she is a grown woman, hopefully equipped with the proper tools to handle this crazy world. Though I will have to let her go, I can only hope that she doesn’t choose to let me go. I have a whole new appreciation for mothers, mine, Jacob’s and any other mother that cares. I guess fathers go through this feeling as well. Tears well up in my eyes as I write this even now.
When I placed her in the crib beneath the mobile and next to the floating fish that light up and blow bubbles I immediately knew it was the right thing to do. She just lay there grinning up at the mobile and looking to the side at the fish taking in her new surroundings. I think we all slept better last night without having to worry about waking each other up. Even now she is asleep in her room while I get to play on the computer, typing as loud as I want to.
|